Periodic Tables from Other Planets

Now here’s a deep thought for you: If an alien race were creating a periodic table on their own distant planet, would it have the same structure as ours?

Klingon Periodic Table of the Elements

This Klingon Periodic Table is the property of TopChemist.net

What do you think? Post your comments below.

46 thoughts on “Periodic Tables from Other Planets

1. Mary K. 5th

It seems like a different planet would have different elements, so they would have a different periodic table. But who knows?

2. victoria w 4th

well, of course not. They probably live on some planet that consists of all sorts of other elements and for all we know they don’t call them the same thing or think of them the same way. If it was the same as ours that would be really coincidental. Maybe, they arn’t even smart enough to have a periodic table. Most likely there arnt aliens, therefore, there are no other periodic tables other than the ones we have created. If there are aliens somewhere out there that would be pretty awesome… I’ve always wanted to meet an alien. Although, i think we should stick with the periodic table we have now because the last thing i want is another confusing table to learn, im satisfied with just one.

p.s. i like the reference to star trek :)

3. Hannah M. 4th

Interesting topic. I tend to think the Klingon table would have a different form, even if they had the same elements. I think that if someone was to redo our periodic table, it might look different. Who’s to say that the way it is now is the only/right way? Also, if anyone knows how to get the Klingon characters on your computer let me know. They’re AMAZING!!! :-)

1. Mr. Crockett

Hi Hannah,

I posted the .zip file for Klingon font on the “Ask Mr. Crockett” page. Just click the “Klingon” link and should download.

4. Micaela S 4th

Well even if there were the exact same elements on a different planet, the periodic table is only one way of organizing the elements. Even the periodic table has changed organization since it was first created. So possibly, but probably not.

5. Maddie H. 6th

This Periodic Table of Elements looks like ours but yet it is totally different from ours! It has the same format. But the symbols are way weird! It does look like an alien language. And it looks really confusing… But I like the way it looks and how it is different from ours! This is so cool and I never knew this existed!

6. Shannon G. 7th

Whatever planet they are living on, they will definitely have either less or more elements than we do. Since of course, we live on a whole different type of planet. But very interesting. I would really care to go over some Klingon in class, just for fun. :)

7. Ahmauri A. 2nd

Their table does look similar, but the writings look like scribble to me. I wouldnt be surprised if they had a lot more elements than us, and some that we hav never heard of either and vice versa. The table does still look cool though! :)

8. Emily F. 7th

They would have the same elements but they could organize them differently. They could even have more or less elements than we have. But they would be the same because aren’t elements formed by stars and they get heavier and heavier.. ok i have no idea what i’m saying.

9. Madeline R. 6th

This is neat…i have never really thought about it. I wouldthink they would organize their elements a different way or have another way of showing them.

10. Madison T. 5th

Hmmm… this is a very interesting question. I have never really thought of it but in my opinion the periodic table would be different because a different plant would have different elements. Aliens may not have to breath so they may not have oxygen which means they might not have water. So aliens probaly have many other element which would create a compty different pt.

11. NV

Well. Personally I think its kind of inevitable for there to be other life in the universe. Seeing as how it never ends, why would this one small planet be the only place capable of having such life. However, regarding the question at hande, I would imagine that some forms of other life would have many similar elements if they did have a periodic table and maybe some that we have yet to discover or vice versa. Perhaps we have elements that are not found wherever they originate from. If your refering to a group of aliens that have the technology to traverse from planet to planet i would think they would have just as many if not more elements that we do because they will have been to more places allowing them to discover more.

12. Amy F. 6th

the table would most likely be different because they would probably have different elements and they might choose to organize their table differently

13. Leland Lyle 7th

It could be possible that the writing might be the same, but the format could different when you think about. Its something to think about.

14. Jesse S. 4th

The Periodic Table would probably not be the same as there may be different elemts. However, the structure of the table might be similar if our knowledge and the aliens’ knowledge were similar.

15. Leonisa K. 4th

I’m not sure if an alien race would even have the same element on their planet. They might have different ones or they might not even have some of the ones on our periodic table.

16. Victoria B. Period 5

I never really thought about having a periodic table on a distant planet. If there is a periodic table I would have to say that it would be different than ours because of the different elements on the planet also the atomsphere may cause different reactions. They also may not have protons, neutrons, or electrons they may have different structures. Therefore, the elements would have to be different. This is pretty cool though, thanks for sharing! :)

17. Annabelle M

I think a periodic table would be different for other planets. But there are probably some elements which stay the same.

5th period

18. Miccael F. - 4th

Pretty cool, I know this must have taken awhile to do, but it’s a great picture to make us all stop and think.

19. Camden S. 4th

I would imagine that, on other planets, they have different elements than we do on Earth. Whether they be completely different or somewhat similar, though, is another matter. And if they’re different, they would have to be organized differently, right?

20. Benny E. 4th

I do not think that an alien race would have a table that looked like ours. They might have different elements where they live, and they most likely would have a different way of interpreting the relationships between all the elements.

21. Evan B. Forgot Period

Well the elements would probably be the same, people don’t go to the moon and find a bunch of different elements when they go. The shape and language would most definitely be different, because the chances that they designed the same table are slim. The table itself though looks awesome, Tolkien would be impressed by the characters.

22. Britt T 4th

Quite frankly, I think that the periodic table for other planets would look incredibly different. They more than likely have different elements, and different ways of reading/viewing them. It is a creative thought though, I’m sure ‘aleins’ are sitting around thinking the same thing right about now.

23. Stevenwayne P. 7th

Well it all depends on wht type of planet the elements are found so to me the fact is a different planet different elements. meaning different chart

24. Miles Y. 5th

In my opinion, i don’t think the periodic table would be the same because, on their planet they might not have the same minerals and compouds as we do on our planet earth.

25. lindsey s.

Ok so Mr.Crockett I actually tried to post this on Sunday from my phone..and I JUST realized it didn’t post because I didn’t enter in my email right..soooo..yeah.
    This is weird though. How did she manage to figure how to write these?

1. Mr. Crockett

She downloaded the font package from the internet and installed the font on her computer. It came as a .zip file. You can download it and put it on your own computer. Just go to the “Ask Mr. Crockett” page and click the link and the file will download. :D

26. Katie S. 3rd

I mean, it could. It would probably be easier for them, just because ours is arranged so well.
    But I guess we’ll never know?